Thursday, May 12, 2005

Meaning of a 5-star

Spencer, Simone and some others were sitting around when Spencer says, "We have here a five-star man." Most things Spencer says leaves us confounded, so we just looked at him and waited for him to continue: "Simone, he's a 5-star, he knows 5 languages: Italian, French, English, Spanish and Norwegian." Spencer's a 4-star: English, Italian, French and German. So I counted my own languages: English, Spanish, Catalan (I can only speak it weakly, but understand it very well, so I counted it as 1/2) and French. Three and a half stars. Not bad, it's passing, like a Holiday Inn, but no Ritz Hotel. So now I have to think of another language I could learn to catch up with Simone. Maybe Italian, then I could go bug him where he lives in his "little village 3 hours north of Roma". Of course, Chad knows Chinese. Now that would be a challenge.
One day I was asked why I was learning French. Since I don't really have a good answer besides the fact that I like learning it, I said I wanted to be like the Pope (JP II knew something like 12). Spencer perked up and said he wanted to be like the Pope too, but I kind of think he actually would like to BE the Pope. And that's a whole other challenge.

No comments: