Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Greece lightning I

Got back over a week ago from Greece, but had the usual inundation of e-mails and work to take care of. I know you were ALL dying to find out about the trip (all 2 of you, that's counting myself). I took the 6:30am Alitalia flight from Barcelona to Rome to Athens. OK, guys, there is a REASON Alitalia is so cheap. I will not mention the nauseating green upholstery or the snack, which was a little cake, which they didn't even offer, you had to ask for it, and I also won't mention the sketchy landings, which felt more like skip-the-rock than gently gliding to the ground. But I will mention the lurvely soundtrack that consisted of "My heart will go on", "Saved the best for last" and a small selection of any of Whitney Houston's earlier works (a hero lies in youuuuu). This would not have been so bad except for the fact that I had had 3 hours of sleep and was looking at 5 hours of travel, with a mere 20-30 (?) minutes of soundtrack. So by the end I'm sure I could have told the exact order of all of the songs frontwards and backwards. Luckily, the mind has a way of protecting its host by blocking out certain unpleasant, and potentially sanity-threatening moments, so I am actually having trouble now remembering all of the songs (Oh!- the one the blind Italian opera singer made famous, "Con ti partire"?, later translated into English by a pop diva and played at all your local dance clubs).
ANYWAY, got to Athens, and according to the last instructions as e-mailed by my dad (yes, I am pointing fingers) I was to take the 78 bus to Kali-something square and meet them at bus terminal B for the 3pm bus to Litochoro. I didn't find the bus my first round along the bus lines, so went inside the airport to find the information desk when, who did I see? My father waiting for me at the arrivals gate! (*uhmh* no comment) Well, for those of you who can't put two and two together, SOMEBODY changed the meeting point without telling me, which could have led to potential disaster if I had made it all the way to bus terminal B in crazy downtown Athens. Mo (my step-mother) showed up a moment later and off we went to find the train (NOT the bus) to Litochoro, on the Aegean coast.

No comments: