Tuesday, May 10, 2005

First 3 weeks in Montpellier I

We had a great little going away gathering at home on Saturday night and early Sunday morning we got up, I finished packing, doped up Oliver the cat with sedatives so he wouldn't be scared on the trip and Victor drove us from Barcelona to Montpellier. The sedatives did NOT work and Ollie complained the whole trip. We got to Montpellier in about 3-1/2 hours, though got lost due to crappy directions I'd printed out from one of those road map sites. We got to a roundabout and it said go right and there were 4 places to go right- it's a roundabout! You can only exit right! So eventually we found the place, I am living in a little studio adjacent to a house. The studio is teeny tiny but the garden is huge and so beautiful- it is exactly how I imagined living in France would be like. We let Ollie play around in the garden. He grew up as a street cat in the city, but quickly learned the ropes (and how to jump the fence). I guess the little one had to grow up and become independent eventually. uh-oh, too much crazy cat lady talk. onto another subject...
On Monday 8:30 am Victor drove me to school, it was raining and made the shabby school look even sadder. I said good-bye to him, took a deep breath and went into my level test. I don't know how I did on the test, but the interview consisted in asking for my name and where I was born, then they sent me into class. That's it?? Yup, you can go now. Ok.... Class was fine, but afterwards I was in reception and other new students were hanging around too so we decided to go to lunch. I realized the big difference between 17 and 28 when the kids I went to lunch with (sandwiches) complained that they had to cook EVERY day! God I was depressed, and panicked- what am I doing? Am I the only one over 20 in this school? Day 2 was a little better when some people who'd missed Monday came into class and were 25 and 26 years old. Well, getting closer! I think I left right away that day, but on day 3 I invited myself along for coffee with the other students. They didn't try to ditch me or ignore me, so I guess it was ok for them! That's what happens when you are in a new place like this, everyone has come by themselves and are desperate for companionship. We are all lucky that we truly enjoy each other's company. In my class was an American ex-pat living in London and studying theatre. Our teacher Valerie made him sing and wow, what a voice. The kind that carries right to your gut. Spencer was the class entertainer and I almost felt a little bad for him that he had to get up and sing whenever the teacher said so (though he said he didn't really mind, since it's his profession and all). Saturday was Spencer's 27th birthday (he complained of being soooo old until I smacked him with my walking stick), so we went out to play laser tag. I'd never played it before, but it was so hilarious running around in vibrating suits shooting all the 12 year olds who came with their dads. Some of those kids really have a great aim! Then Sunday was Cristina's birthday, and since it was raining and we couldn't do the picnic as she'd planned we all went iceskating. Now I really feel like a little kid again.

No comments: